Why? I’m doing this PhD on fatness and sexual subjectivity. Part of what I’m looking at is the interventions fat people are making into representation and discourse; how we negotiate/re-negotiate our fat identities. In a way, it’s sort of turning into a thesis on the fat/size acceptance movement. And because of that, I want to do some ‘field work’ of sorts. That is, hop over to the US (being the centre of the FA-universe) and hang out with some awesome fatties doing awesome fatty things. So I’m starting to put together a sort of calender of fatty events for next year so I can try to figure out the best time to go and fit in as much as possible.
Dear people of the fat-o-sphere, I need your help. I know it’s probably a little early to really know when things are happening in 2010, but if you do know of any awesome and fat-related events or places I should visit, please tell me all about it! I’m particularly interested in:
- Conferences (both academic and activist)
- Performances (theatre, dance, burlesque, etc)
- Community events
- Fatshion-related stuff (eg, fat girl flea, Re/Dress, etc)
- Awesome fatties who might be interested in hanging out and talking
- Pretty much anything else you care to mention
Thanks heaps in advance!
(x-posted everywhere I go)