Fat Mook – Request for Submissions
Taken from Vignette Press:
1. A bound hybrid publication issued in a series.
2. Not quite a magazine, not quite a book.
3. A collection of surprising, unconventional new writing.
1. The ester of glycerol and one, two, or three fatty acids.
2. Obesity; corpulence.
3. The best or richest part.
Vignette Press is seeking new work for the latest in its acclaimed series of mooks. After The Sex Mook, The Death Mook, and Geek Mook, comes Fat Mook.
In a climate where fat bodies are ridiculed, controlled, and feared, Fat Mook seeks to expand the ways we think about fat. We’re looking for work that says something both new and real about fat – work that is accessible but makes us think, that goes to hard places and takes us through them, that is ugly and beautiful and changes the way we breathe. We’re keen on art, photography, poetry, memoir, fiction, comics, non-fiction, and other innovative forms – surprise us!
We are looking for work that goes beyond stereotypes and broadens the existing take on fat. To this end, we particularly encourage contributions from people of colour, queer folk, gender diverse folk, disabled folk, and people from around the world. We also encourage submissions from men, as most fat work is written by women, but we welcome all submissions – we want to read your work.
Fat Mook will be the first collection of creative work on fat to be published in Australia.
Possible topics include but are in no way limited to:
- Aesthetics – beauty, ugliness, the specificity of the fat body
- Fashioning fat – clothing and adornment
- Gender – identity and presentation
- Food – eating while fat, the care and feeding of the fat body, fat vegans and other alternative foodways
- Health and illness – fat athletes, finding movement, dealing with illness
- Sexuality – sex, love, dating, and attraction
- Activism – community, performance, DIY, resisting anti-fat messages
- Space – built environments, safe spaces, comfort
- Fat characters – write one that’s new and different and real; fat lives
- Alternate realities and imagined worlds
- Prose submissions should be a maximum of 3,000 words, however shorter submissions are encouraged.
- Use 12 point, Times New Roman font, 1.5 spacing (unless your writing is in another form, such as a comic).
- Margins should be 2.5cm at top and bottom and 3.25cm at left and right
- On the first page please include your name (Last Name, First Name), title of the piece, genre (eg Fiction, Essay, Memoir, Reportage, Poetry), word count and a 50-100 word bio (not in a separate file).
- When referencing or referring to books in your piece, please incorporate them into the body of your work. If in doubt, use Harvard referencing style (as at http://www.lib.unimelb.edu.au/recite/). We will not include footnotes in the book; writers should include information in the body of the text.
- Artworks should reproduce well in black and white.
- Poetry and prose should be sent as a single Word (preferred) or rtf file.
- Artworks should initially be sent in .jpg format with a maximum file size of 200kb. If selected, we will contact you for high quality files. Artist bios should be sent as a separate Word or rtf file.
- Your submission should be emailed to email@example.com. Files should be named with the author’s surname followed by an underscore and the title of the work, eg, ‘Lee & Wykes_Fat Mook.doc’.
Vignette Press appreciates the guts, labour and dedication required to produce good writing and art. Unfortunately, at the moment, we are not in position to express this monetarily. Each contributor will receive a complimentary copy of the Fat Mook.
Submissions close on 1 April 2012
Jackie Wykes and Jennifer Lee, Fat Mook Editors
Amy Espeseth, Publisher, Vignette Press
Follow us on Twitter @vignettepress and @fat_mook. Like us on Facebook: Vignette Press. Befriend us in real life.